It is part of our human nature to desire the companionship of others. There are times we wish to be surrounded by those whom we feel connected to, and we turn to relationships to satisfy our innate desire for a bond.
We dread loneliness so badly that we get anxious when we find ourselves alone and desperately search for partners. We are scared that our partners would stop being fond of us, or that our friends might abandon us.
Sometimes, we are so scared of ending up alone that we prefer staying with the wrong people, enduring the consequences of a toxic relationship.
There is much more a relationship should offer than just being around someone, and you should not settle for less. You don’t need the approval of anyone else but yourself. It could be your choice to be single, there is nothing wrong with you if you choose to be alone and learn to treat yourself well while waiting for the right person.
When you begin to embrace enjoying your own company, you could come to the realization that being alone doesn’t have to mean being lonely, and it most definitely is better than being with the wrong people.
There’s a lot to do with the time you spend by yourself, away from the distraction of others. There’s a lot to think about, a lot to explore, as well as, to learn about yourself. You can enjoy a movie by yourself, read a book, or have dinner all by yourself.
You might be surprised at what you can accomplish when you get used to doing things by yourself.
Have a good relationship with yourself before you start dating someone. learn to enjoy your own company, focus on yourself, plan, set goals, and work towards them.
Inspirational quotes on enjoying your own company
1. “Sometimes you need to sit lonely on the floor in a quiet room in order to hear your own voice and not let it drown in the noise of others.” Charlotte Eriksson
2. “You cannot be lonely if you like the person you’re alone with.” Wayne W. Dyer
3. “Many people suffer from the fear of finding oneself alone, and so they don’t find themselves at all.” Rollo May
4. Whenever I’m with other people, part of me shrinks a little. Only when I am alone can I fully enjoy my own company.” Alan Bradley
5. “I prefer to be left alone with my books.” Alison Weir
6. “Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
7. “There are people who like to be alone without feeling lonely at all.” Toba Beta
8. Take some books and read; that’s an immense help; and books are always good company if you have the right sort.” Louisa May Alcott (Little Women)
9. In order to be open to creativity, one must have the capacity for constructive use of solitude. One must overcome the fear of being alone.” Rollo May
10. “You don’t have to be part of a couple to be happy, you know.” Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (Alice Alone)
11. “We do not require company. In varying degrees, it bores us, drains us, makes our eyes glaze over. Overcomes us like a steamroller. Of course, the rest of the world doesn’t understand.” Anneli Rufus
12. “Introverts live in two worlds: We visit the world of people, but solitude and the inner world will always be our home.” Jenn Granneman
13. “I have to be alone very often. I’d be quite happy if I spent from Saturday night until Monday morning alone in my apartment. That’s how I refuel.” Audrey Hepburn
14. “I am rarely bored alone; I am often bored in groups and crowds.” Laurie Helgoe
15. “Some steps need to be taken alone. It’s the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be.” Mandy Hale
16. “I find a certain degree of loneliness not only tolerable but deeply pleasurable.” Allen Shawn
17. “Reading well is one of the great pleasures that solitude can afford you.” Harold Bloom
18. “I might be alone, but i’m never lonely.” Megan Hart
19. “If you make friends with yourself, you’ll never be alone.” Maxwell Maltz
20. “I choose solitude over cold kisses. If it isn’t love, it is poison.” Anita Krizzan
21. “If you’re lonely when you’re alone, you’re in bad company.” Jean-Paul Sartre
22. “Sometimes I get so immersed in my own company, if I unexpectedly run into someone I know, it’s a bit of a shock and takes me a while to adjust.” Kazuo Ishiguro (Never Let Me Go)
23. “If I could always read I should never feel the want of company.” George Gordon Byron
24. “But many of us seek community solely to escape the fear of being alone. Knowing how to be solitary is central to the art of loving. When we can be alone, we can be with others without using them as a means of escape.” Bell Hooks
25. “The most powerful relationship you will ever have is the relationship with yourself.” Steve Maraboli
26. “When you’re surrounded by all these people, it can be lonelier than when you’re by yourself. You can be in a huge crowd, but if you don’t feel like you can trust anyone or talk to anybody, you feel like you’re really alone.” Fiona Apple
27. “Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.” Maya Angelou
28. “Being brave enough to be alone frees you up to invite people into your life because you want them and not because you need them.” Mandy Hale
29. “Solitude is where one discovers one is not alone.” Marty Rubin
30. “If you truly want to be respected by people you love, you must prove to them that you can survive without them.” Michael Bassey Johnson
31 “You are who you are when nobody’s watching.” Stephen Fry
32. “For a crowd is not company; and faces are but a gallery of pictures; and talk but a tinkling cymbal, where there is no love.” Francis Bacon
33. “A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?” Albert Einstein
34. “Once you know how to take care of yourself, company becomes an option and not a necessity.” Keanu Reeves
35. “What a lovely surprise to finally discover how unlonely being alone can be.” Ellen Burstyn
36. “I owe everything that I have done to the fact that I am very much at ease being alone.” Marilynne Robinson
37. “Single is not a status, it is a word that describes a person who is strong enough to live and enjoy life without depending on others.” Prixie
38. “The things we experience for ourselves when we are alone are much stronger and much fresher.” Eugène Delacroix
39. “Always remember that you were once alone, and the crowd you see in your life today are just as unecessary as when you were alone.” Michael Bassey Johnson
40. “There are some places in life where you can only go alone. Embrace the beauty of your solo journey.” Mandy Hale