Sometimes we are too accommodating with our partners or even our friends that they end up taking us for granted or disappoint us.
A lack of clear boundaries in a relationship can lead to disrespect and heartbreaks in the relationship.
Therefore, we should prevent being hurt in relationships by setting firm boundaries, emotional or physical, and communicating them clearly with those we are in relationships with.
Boundaries ensure that each partner is comfortable in the relationship and satisfied with each other
Here are some quotes about setting boundaries in relationships.
1. “Love yourself enough to set boundaries. Your time and energy are precious. You get to choose how you use it. You teach people how to treat you by deciding what you will and won’t accept.”
– Anna Taylor
2. “When we fail to set boundaries and hold people accountable, we feel used and mistreated. This is why we sometimes attack who they are, which is far more hurtful than addressing a behavior or a choice.”
― Brené Brown
3. “Evaluating the benefits and drawbacks of any relationship is your responsibility. You do not have to passively accept what is brought to you. You can choose.”
― Deborah Day
4. “The most important distinction anyone can ever make in their life is between who they are as an individual and their connection with others.”
― Anné Linden
5. “Having healthy boundaries not only requires being able to say “no”, but also being willing and able to enforce that “no” when necessary.”
― Jessica Moore
6. “Emotional self-defense… When you set healthier relationship standards in your life, some people will take it personally. That’s their issue, not yours. The distance isn’t against them; it’s for you. It’s a boundary, not a grudge.”
― Steve Maraboli
7. “Boundaries are a part of self-care. They are healthy, normal, and necessary.”
― Doreen Virtue
8. “No” is a complete sentence.”
― Annie Lamott
9. “Create boundaries. Honor your limits. Say no. Take a break. Let go. Stay grounded. Nurture your body. Love your vulnerability. And if all else fails, breathe deeply.”
― Aletheia Luna
10. “Daring to set boundaries is about having the courage to love ourselves, even when we risk disappointing others.”
― Brené Brown
11. “Be honest with who you are, what you want and how you want to be treated. Boundaries only scare off the people that were not meant to be in your life.”
― Shannon L. Alder
12. “Boundaries were necessary for a successful relationship. Most relationships aborted in the boundary-defining stage. Not because people demanded what they needed. But because they didn’t, then got resentful about it”
― Karen Marie Moning
13. “True intimacy is only build around the freedom to disagree.”
― Henry Cloud
14. “Honoring your own boundaries is the clearest message to others to honor them, too.”
― Gina Greenlee
15. “Setting boundaries is a way of caring for myself. It doesn’t make me mean, selfish, or uncaring because I don’t do things your way. I care about me too.”
― Christine Morgan
16. “Individuals set boundaries to feel safe, respected, and heard.”
― Pamela Cummins
17. “Boundaries represent awareness, knowing what the limits are and then respecting those limits.”
― David W. Earle
18. “It is necessary, and even vital, to set standards for your life and the people you allow in it.”
― Mandy Hale
19. Values are sometimes worth living and dying for, and are certainly worth dating and breaking up over.”
― Henry Cloud
20. “When we fail to set boundaries and hold people accountable, we feel used and mistreated”
21. Your personal boundaries protect the inner core of your identity and your right to choices”
―Gerald Manly Hopkins
22. “You best teach others about healthy boundaries by enforcing yours”
23. Compassionate people ask for what they need. They say no when they need to, and when they say yes, they mean it. They’re compassionate because their boundaries keep them out of resentment.”
24. “You get when you tolerate”
― Henry cloud
25. Every human being must have boundaries in order to have successful relationships or a successful performance in life.
― Henry cloud
As a means of communicating your wants as well as letting them know your limits in the relationship, boundaries are important to have a healthy relationship.
By setting boundaries, you not only protect your self esteem, your needs in the relationship would be met and mutual respect would thrive.
Your partner has to respect your boundaries after you’ve communicated it to them to nurture a healthy relationship, and you have to respect their boundaries as well.