We are sometimes difficult on those who love us, we build emotional barriers in our relationships which keeps others from connecting with us, and then we find ways to frustrate those that get through to us that they leave eventually.
We, for one reason or the other, tend to push people away.
It could be because of our personality, how it has been shaped by our experience, and the things we do- knowingly or unknowingly-which eventually drives those who have any interest in us away.
One of the other reasons why we also tend to push people away is the fear we have of being disappointed by them if we let them in.
If you had been hurt in your past relationship, you would want to protect yourself from going through the pain you went through before. You begin to dread the emotional hurt from another heartbreak. You might feel vulnerable or anxious in new relationships, and pushing people away could be how you protect yourself.
There are different things you might be doing that pushes people away; distancing yourself from people, having trust issues in your relationships, getting jealous, and starting arguments easily. Sometimes you frustrate your partner by not putting an effort to make your relationship work.
But while pushing people away to protect yourself, it prevents you from getting close to anyone else. Even if you met someone who genuinely had an interest in you, you might still push them away.
It becomes a cycle. Whenever somebody gets close to you, you do the same thing again, you shut everyone out, and then you push them further away. It prevents you from forming emotional connections with people and truly being happy
You should learn to build healthy relationships with the right people Instead of pushing people away. Rather than build emotional walls, you should learn to set good boundaries. These are a few quotes to inspire you.
Quotes On Pushing People Away
1. “Everyone has their limits, they may choose to stay because of their love for you, but will eventually leave if you keep pushing them away.”
2. “Normally, we push away the things we’re scared of.” Jeff Bridges
3. “The quickest path to self-destruction is to push away the people you love.” Cassia Leo (Pieces of You)
4. “One cannot expect to find love if all they do is shut everyone out.”
5. “The more you try to simplify things the more you complicate them. You create rules, build walls, push people away, lie to yourself and ignore true feelings. That is not simplifying things.” Cecelia Ahern (If You Could See Me Now)
6. “Looking back and wondering if it could have worked eventually hurts more than trying and failing.” Dominic Riccitello
7. “Tell me, if someone pushed you away, the same way you did to others, would you bother to stay.”
8. “You don’t expect someone to keep trying if all you do is to find more ways to push them away.”
9. “If you push people away for long enough, isolation becomes a terrible habit. People start to believe you prefer it.” Amy Harmon (Running Barefoot)
10. “Some people push others away because they don’t want to get hurt. Others push people away because they got hurt.” unknown
11. “Don’t push them away if you don’t want them away”
12. “We accept the love we think we deserve.” Stephen chbosky
13. “If you keep pushing everyone away, what could be left might be those determined to hurt you.”
14. “Maybe it’s because you had assumed that they would disappoint you. You didn’t even give them a chance to prove that they won’t. That’s why the relationship didn’t work”
15. “Unless you prefer being all by yourself, you have to put aside your fear of being hurt by someone you love.”
16. “Love won’t be tampered with, love won’t go away. Push it to one side and it creeps to the other.” Louise Erdrich
17. “Until you learn to accept that not everyone is against you, you won’t stop pushing away everyone that comes your way.”
18. “Not everyone is out to disappoint you, some actually come to stay.”
19. “You could push people away, past their limits, even accidentally, and then it was just too late to get them back” Laura Moriarty (The Rest of Her Life)
20. “If everyone keeps leaving you, then you have to ask yourself what you are doing wrong.”
21. “Sometimes, it’s bad behavior that makes people go away, and not just because they want to leave.”
22. “You push away the people that love you the most by making it hard for them to keep on loving you.”
23. “Sometimes, you don’t have to say go away for someone to leave, your attitude might already be doing most of the talking.”
24. “You can’t always be pushing people away. Someday nobody’ll come back.” Jacqueline Woodson (The Dear One)
25. “Why do you assume that because someone has hurt you before, every other person will do the same.”